Tuesday, October 20, 2009

So You Want to be an Ironman?


Uh oh... Bash Bro's in the same place at the same time

It is an honor and privilege to be a panelist at the DC Tri Club "So You Want to be an Ironman" Seminar. I was a panelist in 2006 and was asked again this year. Ironically, it'll be one month prior to my third attempt at an Ironman.

Agenda:

Introduction/Ice Breaker Simon

Panelists’ Perspective Ironmen!

Q & A Session All (Simon to facilitate)


Panelists’ Perspective:
Please prepare a brief (5 minutes) overview of your Ironman experience to share with the group. The overview should include the following information, plus anything else you would like to share:

• Tell us (briefly) about your training plan - how did you find it, did you use a coach, how many hours per week did you train?
• What were your biggest challenges?
• What was the most rewarding part of this experience for you?
• What do you wish you knew when you signed up?
• Would you do it again? Why or why not?

Here are the questions that may be asked at the session:

OVERVIEW
What is an ironman?
-how is it different from a half?
What are the most important skills / characteristics for IM success (ex. physical, mental, emotional)?
How do you know if you’re ready to go for an IM?

TRAINING
How do you train for an IM?
-Endurance vs. speed
-coaching
What is a typical training week like?
Do you lift/yoga?
What can you do to de-stress from Ironman training?
What are the options if I have a serious injury/illness during IM training?

MONEY
How much does it cost? (gear, nutrition, race fees, travel, coaching, etc)

TIME
How is training for an IM different than other tri's?
How do you balance your life training for an IM ?

SUPPORT
What can my friends/family/partner/children/pet expect during training?
What are ways to focus only on my race and not everyone else’s?
Information about fundraising/making IM more than about ourselves?

SELF ASSESSMENT
How do you mentally focus for an IM, esp. how do you mentally get prepared and execute the training?
Should I focus on my limiters or strengths?
What are the milestones? – When do you know you will make it?
What are special considerations? (E.g. clydesdale/athena, married w/kids, single w/kids, long hours or weird hours)

THE RACE
Which IM should I do? (some are “easier” than others or maybe better for first timers)
What is race week like?
What is the race like?
What is the hardest part?
What is it like to be an IM / any benefits?
Was it worth it?
SHOULD I DO AN IM??

It is expected that those in attendance will have questions of their own, too.

I don't know everyone on the panel. Of course, I know Laurel and she'll have some good insights from this year. Sean Ward is doing RAAM next year and I think he did a 10:15 Ironman Lake Placid. Sick.

I thought I'd take this opportunity to explore the panelists perspective...

1. Tell us (briefly) about your training plan - how did you find it, did you use a coach, how many hours per week did you train?

As readers of this blog know, I am not a coached athlete. I pretty much take the plan that Chad had in 2006 from Mark Allen Online and apply it to my life and capabilities. Swim on Tuesday. Long Run Wednesday. Speed Cycle and lift weights on Thursday. Long swim and tempo run on Friday. Long Bike on Saturday. Brick on Sunday. Lift weights on Monday. Though, this week, I didn't do anything on Monday. The hours can vary between 6 to 15 depending on what part of the cycle I'm in. There are build weeks, peak weeks and then recovery weeks.

2. What were your biggest challenges?
My biggest challenges have been fitting this into my life, knowing how to moderate and the run. Participating in Ironman has definitely tested the endurance of my family and friends. I am also a person who comes from the school of "if it feels good, then do it as much as possible". I find it hard to moderate though Ironman training has a way of making a coward of us. The volume really is unbelievable. Lastly, the run is my achilles heel. My Indian name is "Caught on the Run". I have really had to work it and I would be really happy if I ran a 4:30 marathon this year. It would be the key to coming in under 12:00.

3. What was the most rewarding part of this experience for you?
I suspect that Ironman is much like boot camp is for those who've been in the military. Friends for life are those who have been through the experience with you. No doubt about it... the most rewarding part has been the friendships. There is also a spiritual aspect to Ironman, for me. It completes me. It connects me to the Earth. I can't really explain it... it's a feeling. The finish line of an Ironman is a magical place.

4. What do you wish you knew when you signed up?
I think my eyes were wide open when I came into this. I think they only thing I wish is that I had done this earlier in my life.

5. Would you do it again? Why or why not?
I would definitely do it again. Not next year... but I'll do Ironman again. I'm a disciple. I am attracted to this distance like the people in Close Encounters of the Third Kind were attracted to Devil's Tower.


IMFL 2008 12:05:00

-- TJ

No comments:

Post a Comment