Sunday, October 4, 2009

7 Weeks Out

We're 7 weeks away from race day. I just finished a nice training build and will gratefully get to dial it back a little bit over the next few days. This past week was tough, but I made it... with that dang Friday Tempo run testing my stamina, again. Just brutal... that is all I can say. I feel like my lungs are going to explode.

I rode with Willie on Saturday. Eric Guzman joined us for a bit, too. I knocked out 90 miles. I had mapped out our ride... much of it on roads that I've never ridden on before. Now I know why. I am sure Willie can't wait to tell his side of the story, but... well, we did have to ford a creek. The three of us carried our bikes across a body of water. On a ride that I navigated. I'll be hearing about this one for at least 10 years, knowing Willie.

I did a solo brick today. 58 miles on roads that I know don't have any natural obstructions. My archnemesis River Road had an ally today... Mr. Head Wind. On the way out, it was very gusty. But, it was behind me on the way back and I was even going 21 mph UPHILL on Democracy Blvd. over by 270. I dusted a group from the Bicycle Place, too... on Beach Drive. When I returned home, I ran off the bike and though I felt like dying the first 10 minutes, I settled into a groove and finished the run at a nice pace.

I missed my swim workout on Friday. But, I did stick to the two weightlifting sessions and again did the Thursday bike on the stationary bike at the gym. Honestly, I feel really strong on the bike and don't think I'm going to need to do too much work inside... as long as I get the long ride in Saturday and the brick ride on Sunday.

Next weekend... 100 miles again... aiming to do the Sugarloaf ride on Saturday. Anyone want to join in for all or parts?

Willie looked good on Saturday. I think he wound up doing around 80 miles. Though I was peeved about a few stretches of road I took us on Saturday (Brink Road, W. Old Baltimore Road and then Germantown Road), he seemed to be good-natured about it. I think from here on in, I'll just stick with the tried and true routes. There just doesn't seem to be a good way to get from Olney to west of 270 without having to go way north.

I am getting to the point in Ironman training when you start worrying about little gremlins that can happen. I'll have to start being extra careful and not get any stupid "around the house" type of injuries... like banging my foot on something or slipping on the steps. I have already started walking around the office with a paper towel in my hand so I don't have to touch any door knobs with my bare hand.

-- TJ

No comments:

Post a Comment