Saturday, October 24, 2009

Now That's More Like It

I don't mind autumn... when it is days like today. Though it is overcast, windy and been raining off and on... it's over 70 degrees and kind of humid. Much better than last Saturday... when it was 41 degrees.

This year, I've been doing the long ride on Saturday and a brick workout on Sunday. I switched things up this weekend and did the brick today. Willie and I were going to do a Century today but the threat of rain cancelled that ride. Since tomorrow is going to be clear and sunny, we've dialed in the long ride for tomorrow.

Today's brick was solo. Great workout. I recently got a new fit on my bike from Clovis at Conte's. I also bought new bike shoes. I got in a 55 mile ride Thursday and rode for 50 today. The new fit feels GREAT so far. It is much more aggressive. I'll take a photo so you can see the difference. I feel a lot more power and the cadence feels much smoother, up and down as I turn the crank.

I rode down Rock Creek Park to Hains Point and did a few loops. Not a lot of traffic and not many other cyclists out... I got kind of a late start... 9:30... so maybe that's why. The wind is out of the Southeast today so it was really whipping at the end of the point... but made for a fast ride up the back side... that was fun. On my way back up Rock Creek Park, I saw Tuan from DC Tri Club. He's doing IMFL... even though he broke his clavicle in September. He's back to swimming and looked good on the bike when I saw him today. A real warrior... GO TUAN!

Ride was 50 miles in 2:34... average heart rate 135.

I ran right off the bike and did my usual jaunt around the neighborhood. I was interested in seeing how my legs reacted to the new fit and new bike shoes when transitioning to the run. No problems, today. 3.5 miles in 30:37, average HR 145. Actually felt good.

I am going to make a concerted effort to run the whole marathon next month. I think that is the key to reaching my goal time... 11:59. There it is... I just put it out there. If I could run a 4:30 marathon, even with some problems on the swim/bike, I should be able to make that time. Especially if I shed 10 minutes on my transition times from the last two times I've done Ironman.

Tomorrow... long ride... second to the last one of this training season.

-- TJ

No comments:

Post a Comment