Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Long Run

What hurts and feels good at the same time? Definitely, the long run. Yesterday's was no different. It was rainy in the morning so I held off until after work. Weather was perfect for the run. 68 degrees and kind of balmy. There was a warm wind, too. I did the 17 mile run which took just about 3 hours. After 2 hours, I got some leg cramps in my left calf and did walk some in that last hour. After I was done, I was hurting. Big time. In fact, my left heel had a sharp pain that feels like PF (plantar fasciitis).


Hurt after the run... and then this morning. Feels better now...

Here is the map of the run. I am not too concerned about the cramping problem. I had been wearing hard soled dress shoes all day and didn't take any ibuprofen or endurolytes as I will on race day. Usually I do the long run in the morning but I think this was good for me... it is closer to the time of day that I'll run on race day.

I plan on doing a lot of stretching the next three weeks. Also drink a lot of water, eat bananas and best of all... no more long runs until race day.

I learned today about a buddy from the gym who was training for IMAZ but now won't be able to make it. Larry, who works out at LA Fitness, finally gave up the ghost. Last time I saw him he said he'd been off running for a while (he was on the treadmill at the time... heh). He's been training all year for IMAZ but has had to pull out because of PF. This would have been his first Ironman and he looked pretty disappointed when I saw him this evening at the gym. I feel bad for him but it has given me a big dose of gratitude. I am thankful that it appears I'm going to make it to the starting line intact.


New bike fit

I don't know if you can tell from these photos, but I have a new bike fit. Much more aggressive. The stem was turned around so it is flatter and not pointing up. They also lowered my seat and pointed it down.


Previous fit

So, I lifted weights and rode on the stationary bike for a half hour after work today. I had a good stretch and ab workout before that. All in all, it was a good post-long run workout and blew some lactic acid out of my veins. Tomorrow... long swim... but no tempo run. KDOG suggested I don't do it because of my heel thing... that's all I needed to hear.

-- TJ

1 comment:

  1. TJ - Even the little car is impressed by that bike fit. Why you then decided to lean against a trash can, I don't understand. Enjoy your long swim today. Smart training and good genes makes for happy athlete on race day. Can't wait to yell at you if we catch you walking during the race. :)

    ReplyDelete