Saturday, September 26, 2009

OCD?


Race Results 2004 - 2009

The Ironman workout schedule is relentless. It does not stop. There is always another workout looming. It is like the Terminator. But, if I miss a workout or have to delay a workout until later, I will be obsessed almost to the point of being anti-social until I get my "hit"... until I get my workout in. And the feeling while the workout is "on"... overall, it is bliss. It is serenity. It can be painful... but after the pain, it is total satisfaction.

Some workout observations from the past couple of days...

1. I have had complete weightlifting workouts. Monday/Thursday... past two weeks. It helps me keep my muscle tone, helps with endurance and I believe it augments my cycling and swim training. Gives me more power.

2. The Thursday bike ride was on the stationary bike at the gym. As daylight is back down to less than 12 hours a day, it is difficult to find time to bike on the road (dammit, work... why do you get in the way of having fun?!?!?) and it is just too dangerous to ride around here when it's dark. I considered getting a trainer but I think the stationary bike is going to work for me. I really don't have enough room in the house to setup my bike. God bless my girls... but they have annexed the whole house and I have one little corner of one room for me and my stuff.

3. Friday morning swim... one of those moments of bliss... got in the outdoor pool at 6:30 am (that's when it opens)... dark and drizzly outside... only a few of the pool lights work at the SS YMCA... the reflection on the bottom of the pool... it was like the light was dancing on the bottom of the pool at the deep end... just beautiful.

4. Friday after work tempo run... all I can say is "OUCH"... "VERY OUCH"... that hurts. My lungs were burning. iPod Shuffle mix was awesome and helped me keep the pace up. I think I did sub 8 minute miles over 10k. Getting faster...

5. Saturday long ride... I rode with Travis and another guy... I think his last name is Carlson... good rider (both of them!). I felt pretty good, though. I managed to get in 80 miles. We toyed with doing 100... but I ran out of road. I was definitely strong on the bike today and led most of the way out.

-- TJ

2 comments:

  1. TJ - let me know if you'd still like to borrow my trainer for the next month or so of your training since the weather is getting cooler and it's darker earlier/later. I don't mind. I know you're short on space but I think it would bet better to get these workouts in on your own bike instead of a gym bike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Emily. I appreciate it. I just don't think it will work out. I don't think I can get the "alone" time here at home. Plus, there is the whole space think. I'm trying to keep a small footprint around the house.

    ReplyDelete