Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day Weekend Training - A Tale of Two Bricks


My favorite road sign in the DC Metro area

Labor Day Weekend training build is over. Whew. I was thoroughly trashed after Saturday's 100 mile ride. This Ironman training is no joke. Definitely a challenge and not for the faint of heart. It took me over 24 hours to recover from Saturday's ride.

I managed to start a workout at the 3:45 pm adult swim Sunday at our pool. Another guy was swimming laps and I think I spotted a DC Tri Club water bottle at his chair by the pool. But, we didn't talk as I knocked out a 35 minute swim. I haven't been counting laps this year, so I don't know how far I swam, but the other guy did lap me in the pool. After the swim, I had conveniently staged my bike at the front of the pool clubhouse. So, I hopped on and did a 20 mile ride. Took about 70 minutes and I was just blowing out the lactic acid in my leg muscles. I actually felt good by the end (the ride started with a 1/2 mile uphill to University Blvd.) and did a big hill near the end of the ride... up Wayne Avenue between Sligo Creek Parkway and Flower Avenue. I think by the time I was finished, my legs were just getting ready to get going. A good feeling.


Halfway up Wayne Avenue

Today is Labor Day. A traditional day off work. But, still I woke up at 5:30 am to get ready for a 6:45 clip-in. I had scheduled a brick with Travis from DC Tri. Had to meet him in Georgetown at 7:30 am. As I was riding up the hill from K Street (if you don't think DC area is hilly, go with me on a ride sometime), I could see Chad at Wisconsin and M. He was alone. As I stopped, he informed me that Travis had overslept and that it was just going to be he and I today. "We're getting the band back together."


Missed the text... was on the bike. But, Chad was indeed waiting. He was early, too.

My Bash Bro Simon had written in a race report once about how the elemental representation of Ironman must be "Earth". It's not just the training or the race... it's also the people. Seeing Chad waiting there and riding up that hill in Georgetown (another friggin' hill!?!?) towards Reservoir Road was... well, like seeing an old landmark... like a tree on hill... or a meadow on the way to school... a bridge on the way to the beach. It reminded me of some rides back in winter 2005-2006, as we were both prepping for our first Ironman. Though I'm training now for my third and Chad is about to embark on the Everest Challenge, here we were again... riding out and enjoying... well... the Earth. Outdoors in the elements and being physically challenged... passing many homes whose occupants were inside slumbering away the Labor Day morning.

I've been very fortunate... a lot of rides have taken us by the Supreme Court, US Capitol, Smithsonian,Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial and other DC landmarks. The last few rides, I've done the 12 miles down Rock Creek Park to Georgetown. Very peaceful. Of course, the approach to Sugarloaf and the views from the top on these picture perfect days really are beautiful. I won't take it for granted. I know a lady, training for IM Cozumel 2009, who trains in her basement on a treadmill and stationary cycle. She calls it her dungeon.

Anyway... so much for the mushy stuff. We rode out River Road and came back Esworthy/Query Mill/Glen Road. We stopped to take some pix at my favorite road sign... NORTON ROAD... which means Falls Road is only about 1.5 miles away and it's all downhill to the BP. We parted ways at Oaklyn Road and I blasted home. Felt good those last 12 miles. When I got home I transitioned to a run. I felt like crap the first five minutes but then the inevitable happened... my body adjusted and I fell into a groove. No sun today and relatively cool but there was some humidity... definitely worked up a good sweat.

Bike: 60 miles, 3:24 ride time, 124 avg. HR
Run: 3.6 miles, 33 minutes, 132 avg. HR

Tomorrow... taking the day off. I am supposed to go to the gym today but I don't know... if Linda wants to go, I'll do it. I sit here on the couch, posting on this blog and I am definitely toast.

Ironman is hard. Brick workouts don't make it any easier.

-- TJ

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the ride man...definitely like old times! Too bad I am retired from triathlon ;)

    You were strong yesterday and I couldn't tell you were toasted from Saturday's ride either...THAT in and of itself is a GOOD sign ;)

    ReplyDelete