Saturday, September 12, 2009

Bear Week

I cracked this week. I admit it. I was so toasted that my workouts dropped off the table. Here is what happened...

- I had a tremendous Labor Day weekend build of training. Two weeks in a row I did the Sugarloaf Mountain ride, which is a harder ride than you'd expect. Running... swimming... I don't think I'd missed a day of training since early August.

- I took Tuesday off.

- Wednesday, I did the long run after work.

- I haven't been taking my asmtha medication and I started experiencing some real breathing issues this week... on Tuesday is when it really started. I had a pain in my right lung, closer to my back. It only hurt when I breathed (HA!). It also felt like the vessels in the right side of my neck were constricted... it felt tight or kind of like a pinch. A lot of mucous build up, too. Spitting and sniffling stuff out of my nose. Glad you read this bullet point?

- So, I was toasted on Thursday. Was supposed to ride. No chance. I did go to the gym after work. I changed into my gym clothes. I spotted for Linda on flat bench. Then I just watched as she did the rest of her workout. One of the dudes who lifts heavy even made a wise crack about how my workout was going. I managed to NOT lift a weight, do any core... or even stretch. A total goose egg.

- Friday... morning swim on the schedule. I woke up at 5;15 am. Immediately texted Colette and informed her I was out. I could barely breath and was coughing up a lung. No chance. Tempo Run at lunch? Forget about it. Not even close.Plus, I had my one year checkup with Dr. Vu. He thinks my eyes look ok but the right eye does have a couple of thin spots in the retina. Honestly, I was starting to get more concerned about the breathing thing.

- Today... woke up late... puttered around the house. I was scheduled to ride long... but only like 60 miles. About 11 am, I clipped in and headed out. I actually felt better and the chest pain was very minor. I managed to get in 54 miles. Rode downtown... lots happening... Nations Triathlon tomorrow so everyone was racking up their bikes today. There was a Tea Party, too. Linda went down there and I rode over to the Capitol to spend a little time with her. Thousands of people were there. Seemed like a big crowd. Sitting here on the couch posting to this blog, my chest feels the best it has all week. Strange, isn't it?

Big shout out to Chad who is doing the Everest Challenge as I write this. 120+ miles of riding today with like 15,000 feet of climbing or something retarded like that. Go get 'em, Chad!

Tomorrow... Victims Fund Run in Severna Park, MD. I'm doing the 5k with my sister. We're going to make a brick out of it. We'll ride our bikes there, run, and then do a longer ride back to her house. Should be fun.


TJ & Linda in front of the US Capitol at a Tea Party

-- TJ

No comments:

Post a Comment