Sunday, February 22, 2009

Weightlifting


It is suggested that in the offseason, triathletes do a different fitness routine than that performed during the season. This offseason, I've had a serious weightlifting regimen. And, I've stuck to it. The routine has consisted of the following:

November/December
- Light weights (50% of max)
- High reps (12 - 15 reps)
- 3 days on, one day rest

January/February
- Higher weight (80% max)
- Lower reps (10 reps down to 6 reps last set)
- 3 days on, one day rest

The workouts breakdown as such:
- Day 1: Chest/Arms
- Day 2: Legs
- Day 3: Back/Shoulders
Core workout every other workout.

I've managed to pack on some muscle. But, I've also gained weight. I have gotten as high as 222 lbs. and weighed in at 218 on Friday. My strength has increased dramatically. After Ironman Florida, I couldn't do more than 3 dips. I can now bang out 3 sets of 10... and that is after a full chest/arm workout. I can do a set of (6) 100 lb. dumbbell presses. My squat (on a Smith Machine) is back up over 250 lbs. whereas back in November it was a struggle to do anything over 150.

But, I also feel slower and quite frankly, heavy. But, this is part of the plan. Starting in March, I'll cut back on the weights, start increasing my running frequency, get on the bike and work in some swims. The base muscle that I've developed should help prevent injury and result in increased power which should help my speed and endurance. Time will tell.

A blessing of this has been that my wife Linda has joined me in the gym. We met at the gym back in 1992 and after a hiatus, she is back in and packing on some muscle herself. I've enjoyed our time in the gym together and look forward to more workouts in the months and years ahead. I love you, my sweet baboo.

- TJ



No comments:

Post a Comment