Sunday, August 16, 2009

Northeast Triathlon Update - Results


TJ at body marking

If you like to run a 10k on asphalt in 90+ degree weather with no shade after a hilly bike ride, you should do the Northeast Triathlon.

I had a lot of fun and the course is very challenging. No wet suits were allowed on the swim as the water was 85 degrees. But, it was very calm and I didn't feel any current. My swim time wasn't all that bad. I was passed by about a dozen people in the wave behind my wave. I felt a lack of energy the first 10 miles of the bike. But then I remembered... all the Ironman training makes it hard for me to "warm up". It usually takes a while to get it going. The last 15 miles of the bike ride, I passed people who had passed me earlier in the ride. Then came the run... Jesus H. Christ... what a disaster... a hour long 10k is just unacceptable.


There was no "good part" on this run

The good news is that the DC Tri Club won the USAT Regional Club Championship for the 5th year in a row. I have been in 4 of those races (missed the 2007 edition... at the Northeast Triathlon). And though I did take 5th place in the Clydesdale division, I am still disappointed in my performance. I obviously need to work on the run. Swim time was actually better than my Oly Tri last year. And, I have swum a lot less this year than last. My bike is cool... I just need to get going earlier. It definitely took me about 30 minutes today to get my legs going like they should. Once they did, I started picking people off on the bike. Especially on the hills. Had a some good power and turnover.


Incentive to work harder and smarter

Congratulations to my "Bash Bro" Simon Hernaez for taking 3rd Place in the Clydesdale division. You earned it, big fella! I took 3rd last year and Simon was 4th... this year, the tables got turned with a new guy, Hans from DC Tri Club, earning 4th place. He passed me on the run at mile 1.5. He wasn't the only person to pass me on the run...


My "Bash Bro" Simon showing off his 3rd Place Medallion

Some final observations...

1. My transitions suck. Look at that T1 time. No wet suit, either. Again... simply unacceptable.
2. AVG HR data... swim - 140... bike - 157... run - 150
3. As bad as the run was, I didn't walk. I ran the whole time.
4. A big shout out to my new friend Lennie Phillips who had a time of 2:47:02 in his 3rd tri!
5. New googles worked out fine. No problems at all.

-- TJ

1 comment:

  1. "an hour long 10K is just unacceptable." Unless your name is Jessica Daigle. Then it's a PR. Congrats!

    --Jessica

    ReplyDelete