Sunday, July 5, 2009

LiveStrong



What does LiveStrong mean to you? To me, it means living life to the fullest despite any affliction. It may be cancer or some other disease. It may be a physical handicap or an addiction. It may be living in a time of war or a place in poverty. No matter what the challenge, to LiveStrong means to me that an individual sets the difficulty aside and lives their life as they choose. It may be cycling, or running. It may be playing music or writing poetry. It may be starting and running a business.

Of course, I write this in the context of the 2009 Tour de France. Lance Armstrong returns from retirement to ride again. And he has promised to raise awareness of cancer and its impact on the lives of so many. Yours truly, included.

I did my first brick of the season today. I rode with a 35 year old cancer survivor I met playing basketball this past offseason. This is his second year of triathlon. He survived brain cancer in his 20s. We rode 28 miles in Rock Creek Park and I rode home and transitioned to the run. Even though I fell down about 5 minutes into the run, I did a 7:45 mile in mile 1. I managed to average under 8 minute miles on the 28 minute run. Average heart rate was 151. It was a good workout and an encouraging start to "brick training".

LiveStrong.


-- TJ

1 comment: