Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Discipline Makes the Difference


Paul Timmons and I at his gym, The Firm

Back from the beach. Had a great vacation that included a training build throughout the week. I rode with Paul Timmons on Sunday. We did a 65 mile ride in windy, high heat and humidity conditions on flat roads. I went through 4 bottles on the ride, which included a 30 minute run afterwards. Paul just did the ride. A 3 time Hawaii Ironman veteran, he's a great rider. If you're ever in Rehoboth, check out his gym, The Firm Fitness Center.

Two ocean swims, four bike rides, three runs (including the brick) and two weightlifting sessions later, I'm ready for the Northeast Triathlon on Sunday. To me, that's a great vacation. Swimming in the ocean is a rush. Tuesday's swim found me stung three times by jellyfish. Seeing the countryside from the seat of your bike is a great way to get to know an area. The ride Thursday found me pedaling as fast as I could through a thunderstorm. The ride in the rain has been a theme this training season. And the satisfaction of completing a training run isn't called a "Runner's High" for nothing. Running along the Atlantic Ocean coastline and on Rehoboth Beach's Boardwalk on warm summer days just heightens that sensation.

Workouts go a lot easier when you don't have to worry about going to work later that day, or even the next day. I could get used to that sort of life.

Though I was disciplined with my workouts, I was all over the road with eating. Yes, I had french fries and nachos. I even ate ice cream twice. Bad TJ. I really have to start getting it together and being more disciplined with my eating habits. I am hovering around 200 lbs. right now and don't think it would take much to get down to 190. Readers of my blog from last year know this is my "white whale"... getting down to 190.

Lastly... while I'm laying in bed, writing in my blog on my MacBook computer and worried about how much food I've been eating, Marines are on the offensive in Afghanistan. I can barely fathom the discipline it takes to do what they're doing right now as I'm writing these words.


TJ at USMC Memorial on 8/12/2009. Semper Fi.

-- TJ

No comments:

Post a Comment