Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Cervelo Saga

I now have my 4th Cervelo bike in 18 months. Let me take you through the timeline.

December 2007: I purchased a brand new 58 cm Cervelo P2C from Conte's in Arlington, VA. The bike had a DA kit and served me well. Shortly before Ironman Florida 2008 when tuning up the bike, Conte's discovered a crack in the frame. They felt I could still do the race with the bike and I averaged 20 mph on the bike course (just had to get that in there).


Cervelo P2C primed for NJ Triathlon 2008.

November 2008: I turned my bike over to Conte's so they could hammer out details with the Cervelo rep. I never did see the crack but I believe it was on the downtube under the seat on the rear of the tube. I left the bike in the shop and they said it'd take a few weeks to wrap it up. As I was done of the season, I just kind of let it go and didn't even give the bike I had spent so much time on a proper goodbye.

February 2009: I finally followed up with Conte's and evidently, Cervelo wasn't willing to play ball. Conte's offered me a deal where they'd give me a Cervelo P3 frame and a new Wolf CRL front fork, as the old one was toast. The P3 frame was a 61 cm so I thought awful hard about it. I finally thought that this would be the best deal for me so I did the swap. They took the components off my old P2C and installed them on my P3 and I rode it home.


It is standing still... but still looks fast. Cervelo P3.

April 2009: So, I start riding again and I put about 500 miles on the bike. Seth at Conte's gave me a good fit and the bike was working out ok. It was big, but I was handling it and getting in some good training.

June 2009: By this point in time, I'm starting to feel the bike is a little too big for me. I was on a ride with a fellow DC Tri Club member... a big guy who is at least 6' 4". He was telling me about how he was looking to buy a P2 but they didn't have one in his size and his color. I got to thinking... I wonder if he'd buy a 58 cm P2 and trade it for my P3. I emailed him about my plan and he agreed that it was a good idea!

------snip------
On Jun 2, 2009 11:29pm, Tom Collins wrote:
> Casey... let me bounce an idea off you...
> Would you be interested in buying my Cervelo P3 for the same price as a brand new P2C?
> It has a DA kit and is a 61.
> -----------------------------
> TJ
> Ironman
> tomcollins@mac.com


On Jun 3, 2009, at 7:39 AM, CC wrote:
TJ, I just might. What's making you want to sell it?
- Casey


On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 7:41 AM, Tom Collins wrote:
It's a little too big for me. I really should be riding a 58.


On Jun 3, 2009, at 11:44 AM, CC wrote:
TJ, your offer sounds good to me. Would you mind if Conte's gave the bike a quick look prior to buying it?
thanks,
Casey
------snip------

So, we make the deal. Casey rides off on my P3 and I get a brand new P2! Full DA kit with the new Vision brakes... very slick.


Casey on my old P3... boo hoo...


2009 Cervelo P2... yeah!

Late June 2009: After a long ride, I'm just looking over my bike and I see what appears to be a crack on the frame! Again, it's on the downtube under the seat but this time it's on the front. I ride it over to Conte's and they look it over. Definitely a crack. They hold on to the bike as they talk to the Cervelo rep. This time, I guess he relents and they agree to give me a new frame.


Close up of crack on frame... BOO!


Crack was located in front of the "e" under the seat on the downtube.

July 2009: So, now I have a new frame, my 4th new Cervelo frame since December 2007. I plan on clipping in for a 100+ mile ride on Friday. I'll take some pix of the journey. Let's hope everything holds up this time around. I really appreciate all the hard work Conte's has been doing in order to keep me happy. Scott and Jody run a great bike shop.


Seth of Conte's dialing in my aero bars.

-- TJ

No comments:

Post a Comment